Tuesday, March 22, 2016

Sarasota - Cayo Costa - Captiva, March 13-19

March 13, 2016

So long Sarasota
We slipped our mooring in the dark and headed to the Marina Jacks fuel dock for pumpout, water, and dingy gasoline, then departed for Cayo Costa about 7:30.  Because of the daylight savings time change last night, sunrise was an hour later today.  We had a long run of 51 miles which was fine for most of the way.  Every time we travel on a Saturday or Sunday, I swear that I will not do it again, but today is Sunday and here we go into the mass of power boats driven by people who really don’t have a good understanding of what they are doing or don’t care.  A typical day dodging boats and being rolled by huge wakes.  The wind continued to increase during from the south during the day.  The official marine forecast said south at 10 with a light chop on inland waters.  In reality, by time we had to cross Boca Grande Pass, it was south southeast at 16 with gusts to 24 so we were head into a heavy chop.  No problem, but it slowed our progress and soaked us in salt water.  We dropped the hook at Cayo Costa next to our friends (Michael and Suzie) on Imajine at 4:00, just in time to get cleaned up for happy hour.

More bridges

March 14, 2016

Good night in an excellent anchorage with good bottom and wind protection.  Late morning, we headed to the beach with Michael and Suzie.  I had enough of the sun after an hour or so, so I returned to Dubhe for lunch, nap, and a few chores.  Later in the afternoon, Nancy and I took our dingy (Nancy has named Little Dipper) to the beach to clean the bottom.  We had Michael and Suzie over for happy hour, then supper on Imajine.  It’s fun to have good people to spend time with. Nancy has named our dingy "Little Dipper". (Dubhe is the pointer star on the big dipper).

Little Dipper is serving us well.


March 15, 2016

Woke up to heavy fog which burned off by late morning.  Michael and Suzie invited us to go to Cabbage Key with them on their dingy for lunch.  I haven’t read the details of this place but I am told by Nancy that it is the place where Jimmy Buffett was inspired to write Cheesburger in Paradise.  I am not sure about that, but apparently a lot of people have heard it because the place was packed, with a long waiting line by time we left, (I’m glad we came early) with tourists arriving by every kind of boat imaginable.  It was ok, but no French fries...done once, no need to go back.   A lazy afternoon, so I decided to do a little fishing.  First, I came upon a small “pond” within the mangroves with several manatees, so I went back to get Nancy so she could see them.  We counted at least 8 or 9 manatees.  I took Nancy back to Dubhe then continued fishing.  I was trolling for spotted seatrout and within a minute or two I hooked one of the larger ones I have ever caught, and although I had very light tackle and no net, I managed to get it into the dingy!  I didn’t measure it but I knew it was well over the minimum limit of 15 inches.  I think I will do a little more fishing tomorrow.  We had Michael and Suzie over for dinner of pan fried trout and yellow rice and black beans which they brought. A great day cruising.

Manatees are hard to photograph. (there's one here)
Only their noses come out of the water for a moment.


Nice Trout


March 16, 2016

Went fishing early, before breakfast and caught three trout right away, but one was too small.  I took Michael fishing later but no luck.  Nancy and Suzie hung out on the beach while I helped Michael clean the bottom of his dingy.  A relaxed day cruising.

More trout

More beach


March 17, 2016

Saint Patrick’s day but I had no green to wear, oh well no one cares out here.  Went fishing and picked up a couple more trout Had fresh fried trout sandwiches for lunch.  Nancy and I took a long walk on the beach.  Happy hour on the flybridge with Michael and Suzie.  The weather was great; sunny and warm but not hot.  Another perfect day cruising.

I love selfies on the beach.
March 18, 2016

We had thought we would leave today, but stayed because it is just too good.  Weather is coming this weekend so we are planning our strategy.  Nancy did not feel well, so she took it easy.  I read most of the day.  I am really getting into the Doc Ford novels by Randy Wayne White; 4 down and 19 to go!

We don't always eat fish.

Dubhe and Imajine anchored at Cayo Costa
March 19, 2016

We reluctantly departed our anchorage in Cayo Costa about 9:30 in the company of Imajine.  Our planned destination was Ding Darling State Park at Sanibel Island, but as often happens, the weather changes our plans.  About an hour or so later, a strong line of thunderstorms showed up on radar, moving in our direction.  A Coast Guard VHF broadcast said that the line was moving at 35 knots (40 mph) and had wind speeds of 35 knots.  A quick calculation showed that it would catch us before we could make our intended anchorage, so we decided to duck into an anchorage at Captiva Island.  At one time, we had planned to go there, but for a myriad of reasons, had decided to skip it.  One reason was a shallow entrance, but that turned out not to be an issue.  Shortly after we anchored, the line of thunderstorms weakened and slowed so about an hour and a half later we had some moderate wind and rain.  When the rain passed, we went ashore with Michael and Suzie for a little sightseeing, drinks, and dinner (including a visit to Doc Ford’s bar).  A very pleasant evening…glad we stopped here.

Squall line - not nearly as bad as it looks.


Office at Jensen's Marina, Captiva.
(a location in Doc Ford novels)


No comments:

Post a Comment